Attention Truckers/Professional Drivers: Anyone who has registered or is required to register a heavy highway motor vehicle with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more in their name at the time of first use on the public highways during the reporting period must file Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return.
The filing season is July 1 through June 30. The filing deadline for Form 2290 is based on the month you first use the taxable vehicle on public highways during the reporting period.
- For vehicles you first use on a public highway in July, file Form 2290 between July 1 and August 31.
- The tax for the current filing season will be prorated for vehicles you first use on a public highway after July. File Form 2290 by the last day of the month following the month in which you first used the vehicle on a public highway.
Are you ready to file? Here’s what you need to have at the ready:
- Your Employer Identification Number (EIN). This is the only way you can successfully file a return. If you do not have one, you must first apply for one.
- The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This applies to every vehicle you use professionally.
- Taxable gross weight of each vehicle.
Be prepared that payment must be remitted in full with the completed Form 2290.